Skip to main content

Day 22: When you've met one person...

When you've met one person, you've met one person. You wouldn't claim all people are the same. When you've met one woman you've met one woman; one Frenchman is one Frenchman; one blind person is one blind person. There are endless examples. So why do so many people think they can pigeon-hole every person with ADHD or autism or any other Special Need? 'Oh yes, my cousin's son is autistic, so I'm sure your child will fit in fine at my music class.' 'Oh, ADHD? He'll fail at school like my colleague's brother.' 'Dyspraxia? Teach her to type, because she'll never learn to write.'

ADHD and Spectrum conditions are complex, and are manifested in different ways in different people. Add in Nature vs. Nurture: neurology is important, but so is environment. The loud, flamboyantly dressed person who shuns what some would consider social norms can have the same diagnosis as the anxious, shy, number-crunching introvert who won't leave the house because he is unsettled by the fact that the world won't fit within his systems. The madly creative, often hyper-focused, non-sleeping entrepreneur can have the same condition as the child who seems to be away with the fairies and has no idea where his other shoe has gone. Richard Branson (of Virgin fame), along with Olympians such as Simone Biles, Louis Smith and Michael Phelps have ADHD, but so do large numbers of male inmates in UK jails. Many famous scientists and inventors are thought to have been autistic, and have changed our world forever, while others find it so very hard to function that the suicide rate among the ASD population is heart-breakingly high. And many people have both ADHD and autism, or other conditions or 'differences' mixed in. Each person with a neurological condition (which is what ADHD and autism are) is as unique as each person in a room full of 'neurotypicals'. Their personalities, their needs, their behaviours and their experiences of life cannot be pre-determined via a diagnostic label.

Most of you know that I've set up this blog and committed myself to 90 days without alcohol as a self-care challenge. However, one of the reasons I need to work on self-care is that I've been working so hard to learn about ADHD and Autism over the last five or so years, in order to support my children. It's easy enough to lose yourself in motherhood at the best of times, but when you add in endless appointments and multiple conditions to manage and research, self-care drops a long way down your list, until you forget you were ever a person in your own right. The money I raise from sponsorship will be paid to The ADD-vance ADHD and Autism Trust, as they stopped me from losing myself altogether. But because of the link, it's important to me that I raise at least a little awareness of what it is like to live with ADHD and/or Autism. I don't feel qualified to speak for such a diverse population, and I don't believe any single person is, so I plan to offer a series of guest posts from people willing to share their own experience of neurological difference. These will have a 'One Person: ' style of title. Please, please get in touch with me if you would like to contribute.

The first contribution will follow this post, and is a remarkable piece of writing from a remarkable young man named Dan Gurton. Please read it and reflect. I will go back to my own scattered thoughts (and ramblings about herbal teas) in a later post!

(I realise I've gone a bit sombre here -- I almost said 'sober', but the irony would be too great -- but please stick with me, wonderful people x)

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LizThompson



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11: A Grumpy Post, featuring Tea

So, somehow four days have gone by since I last managed a blog post. My intentions were good, but time and a pressing need for tea were against me. Tea in the company of friends is definitely a satisfying way to pass the hours, but does detract from the accomplishment of missions. The truth is that I've been slightly shell-shocked and distracted by the return to school and the dreaded after-school activities. The Big Boy is slowly settling in to secondary school, but the other two have struggled with the changes to our routine. I'm not sure if I've already mentioned that kids with ASD really hate change, and like life to be predictable. Somehow I forgot to prepare them for a different morning routine, and I've been paying the price. School went back last Tuesday and that night all three kids stumbled into my bed at some point, unable to sleep and looking for comfort. The cat was already there. Yes, we have a cat (furry domestic pet) as well as The Cat (less furry, les

Day 71: ‘Tis the season...

Let me list a few things that disturb The Cat: A long build-up to an exciting event School being ‘different’ Being asked to sing Surprises (e.g. presents) Large family gatherings  Music that he hasn’t pre-approved Mummy singing along to anything at all, or even humming Candles Unfamiliar smells, like, say, a tree indoors Cooking smells Any strong smell (with the bizarre exception of the little boy wee smell that he leaves on bathroom floors and walls) Changes in routine Sitting at a table for more than ten minutes Noisy chatter or laughter Loud bangs (from, say, a cracker) Seeing girls (e.g. his kind, beautiful, little girl cousin) Food other than pizza, salmon or sausages  Going places he has to wear clothes Cake that isn't chocolate Talking to anyone other than Mummy, The Dog or The Friend Mummy talking to anyone other than him Thinking about anything other than Pokemon, Greek mythology or Minecraft And a few of The Dog’s dislikes: Weeks where his sp

Day 74: The Alcohol Thing

Greetings all, from the survivor of another Big Family Occasion without a drink! When I started this blog, I imagined I would be posting every day to moan about the difficulties of parenting without Pimms (or gin, or wine, etc.). But you know what? After a few weeks and a major investment in herbal tea, alcohol barely crossed my mind. And the longer I went without it, the less I thought about it. Until 1 November, that is. With a month to go, the possibility of drinking suddenly seems close again. And indeed, I am having some close friends over on 1 December, and I have planned my first (and possibly only) drink for that night. (Prosecco with a splash of strawberry gin liqueur, if you are interested.) (It's as good as it sounds.) With that image in my mind, suddenly everybody else's glasses of wine seem like something possible for me, rather than just part of my life I've shut down. I've had many people suggest that I 'simply' drink on special occasions o