Skip to main content

What have I done?

Any idea that comes to you in the middle of the night should be ignored. If you don't manage to ignore it, but rather decide it's quite a good idea, something has gone wrong. If you then take three kids to an indoor trampoline park in Week 4* of the Summer holidays, link your idea to charity fundraising and post it on Facebook immediately so that you can't back out, you should probably start taking sleeping pills so that no more ideas come to you in the early hours. The whole 'taking three kids to an indoor trampoline park' thing should have alerted me to the fact that I wasn't thinking straight. That, or the awareness that it was indeed Week 4* of the Summer hols, that famous 'death of the soul and all hope' stage of the year for Mums across the land. But nope, I hit 'Post', so now I have to give up alcohol for 90 days. That's all of September, October and November. Yes, I know that 30 days hath September and November, while October hath 31, but I'm giving myself a pass for my birthday, just in case I'm not actually A Whole New Person by November and need to hit the Pimms.

More will be revealed about my dumb idea, my favourite charity and my lack of common sense, but in the meantime you should probably just sponsor me and start suggesting cocktail recipes for 1 December.

Here's the magic link:
uk.virginmoneygiving.com/LizThompson

*It might actually have been Week 5. I used to work in a bank, but now I can't count. Actually, I can count to 3, as I have 3 kids and need to provide that many meals, chairs, beds, etc. Also handy to take at least 3 kids home from school each night. (Sometimes extras come too, but they tend to be picked up by calmer, more organised Mums before bedtime.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 11: A Grumpy Post, featuring Tea

So, somehow four days have gone by since I last managed a blog post. My intentions were good, but time and a pressing need for tea were against me. Tea in the company of friends is definitely a satisfying way to pass the hours, but does detract from the accomplishment of missions. The truth is that I've been slightly shell-shocked and distracted by the return to school and the dreaded after-school activities. The Big Boy is slowly settling in to secondary school, but the other two have struggled with the changes to our routine. I'm not sure if I've already mentioned that kids with ASD really hate change, and like life to be predictable. Somehow I forgot to prepare them for a different morning routine, and I've been paying the price. School went back last Tuesday and that night all three kids stumbled into my bed at some point, unable to sleep and looking for comfort. The cat was already there. Yes, we have a cat (furry domestic pet) as well as The Cat (less furry, les

Day 71: ‘Tis the season...

Let me list a few things that disturb The Cat: A long build-up to an exciting event School being ‘different’ Being asked to sing Surprises (e.g. presents) Large family gatherings  Music that he hasn’t pre-approved Mummy singing along to anything at all, or even humming Candles Unfamiliar smells, like, say, a tree indoors Cooking smells Any strong smell (with the bizarre exception of the little boy wee smell that he leaves on bathroom floors and walls) Changes in routine Sitting at a table for more than ten minutes Noisy chatter or laughter Loud bangs (from, say, a cracker) Seeing girls (e.g. his kind, beautiful, little girl cousin) Food other than pizza, salmon or sausages  Going places he has to wear clothes Cake that isn't chocolate Talking to anyone other than Mummy, The Dog or The Friend Mummy talking to anyone other than him Thinking about anything other than Pokemon, Greek mythology or Minecraft And a few of The Dog’s dislikes: Weeks where his sp

Day 74: The Alcohol Thing

Greetings all, from the survivor of another Big Family Occasion without a drink! When I started this blog, I imagined I would be posting every day to moan about the difficulties of parenting without Pimms (or gin, or wine, etc.). But you know what? After a few weeks and a major investment in herbal tea, alcohol barely crossed my mind. And the longer I went without it, the less I thought about it. Until 1 November, that is. With a month to go, the possibility of drinking suddenly seems close again. And indeed, I am having some close friends over on 1 December, and I have planned my first (and possibly only) drink for that night. (Prosecco with a splash of strawberry gin liqueur, if you are interested.) (It's as good as it sounds.) With that image in my mind, suddenly everybody else's glasses of wine seem like something possible for me, rather than just part of my life I've shut down. I've had many people suggest that I 'simply' drink on special occasions o